6.1.08

Artist Spotlight: Battles

Those of you who are avid readers of my blog (nerds + my mum) probably have guessed that there is no band I love more than Animal Collective. You also probably have noticed that i lament the fact that there isn't more music like what Animal Collective creates. In fact, there isn't any. Or at least, there wasn't until I discovered my favourite band of the week, Battles.



No, they're not really like Animal Collective, but they do have a similar alien quality about them. They're sort of like what would happen if Animal Collective and Explosions In The Sky had a really funky, electronic baby. A warning though, they're not for the faint of heart. Their music is structured a bit like techno, but their sound is almost like hardcore. It's a bit hard to describe, actually, without using the term "math rock," which I am reluctant to do. It sounds a bit too much like "psych folk" and all those other fake genres that artists (rightfully) hate.

Reguardless of what you call them, however, Battles are pretty great. The guys are extremely talented musicians who create something together that is greater than the sum of its parts. It's hard while listening to their music to imagine that it was created by humans, which is why the decision to put themselves performing in their music videos was such a good one. It gives the listener/watcher a frame of reference for how this music even exists.

So, without further delay, I present their 2007 release, Mirrored, in its entirety, along with two music videos for your viewing pleasure.

Continue if you dare.

-Jocelyn

free music


"Atlas"


"Tonto"

1 comment:

ebarkwill said...

Thank God you made an update. I was sick of reading "A Christmas Present for you." I miss you already.